The blue tarp of Sarlat...

The blue tarp of Sarlat...
I put the ugly blue tarp up in January to stop rain from leaking into the stonework while we wait for permission to renew it...

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mad man, maniac...


You know you’re an obsessive type when you find yourself vacuuming the lawn.

Sadly, this has become a daily ritual for me ever since I bought one of those leaf sucker/blower things. I haven’t figured out where to blow the leaves to yet, so I am stuck in perpetual vacuum mode – and I have to admit I enjoy it, despite knowing I look like some kind of madman, lumbering around with this huge (and heavy) yellow leaf-zapper strapped over my shoulder, with a twisted and sly grin on my face.

We have leaves everywhere, of course, but cannot – must not! – allow them to settle on the grassy plot between the houses now that we’ve spent so much time and money laying it out. The leaves get soggy and make patches where the grass cannot grow. Not to mention the surrounding white gravel paths that look oh-so-awful when smothered by leaves.

The irony is that most of the leaves are falling from the two hazelnut trees that have already caused us about a hundred man-hours in the process of scooping, sorting, and sacking the nuts. Now that the shower of hazelnuts is finally complete, the trees are shedding tons of leaves each.

So autumn to me is spending a few hours each morning sucking them up whilst dreaming of schemes to keep the damned things on the trees. (For instance, could I fill our paint sprayer with Elmer’s glue and water and jet the solution onto the branches?)

The leaf blower is just another expensive weapon in our growing lawn care arsenal. Who would guess that two guys fresh from the city (Paris and the center of Todi before that) would now own a riding tractor-mower, a regular lawnmower, a chain saw, a weed-whipper, a weed-spraying device, a rather deadly looking axe, a wheel barrow, several miles-long garden hoses, and an assortment of rakes, shovels, picks, clippers, and snippers.

Where are the windowsill flower pots of yesteryear? 

No comments:

Post a Comment