The blue tarp of Sarlat...

The blue tarp of Sarlat...
I put the ugly blue tarp up in January to stop rain from leaking into the stonework while we wait for permission to renew it...

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent 2012 - and Christmas for the birds…



The lead-up to Christmas for me this year has been counting the days until Francesco returned home from Italy. He is finally here after a hiatus there that lasted three months - an agonizing time for us both.

Now we can set about the important work of readying the property for the cold winter season as well as attempting to raise some kind of holiday spirit in time for Christmas.

Alas, it seems my usual enthusiasm for yuletide wanes a bit each passing year. I did drag out my hoard of Christmas ornaments and even managed to trim a little outdoor tree with suet balls and strands of seeds to feed the local birds.

But it may take a titanic effort for me to go on with the rest. Again I recall my mother, her ever-diminishing zeal that saw smaller and smaller Christmas trees, less fuss over things like setting up the little crèche, hanging lights, etc., especially after my father died.

But the American comic Tom Lehrer’s advice also rings in my ears: Christmas time is here, by golly; disapproval would be folly! Deck the halls with hunks of holly, fill the cup and don’t say ‘when’…

No comments:

Post a Comment